San Andreas Faultgeographical name
Definition of San Andreas Fault
zone of geologic faults in California extending from the northern coast toward the head of the Gulf of California
Note: Movement along part of the San Andreas Fault has frequently been the cause of earthquakes in the region, including the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game