Definition of Salem
1 city and port on the Atlantic in northeastern Massachusetts northeast of Lynn population 41,340
2 town in southeastern New Hampshire east of Nashua population 28,776
3 city and capital of Oregon on the on Willamette River in the western part of the state population 154,637
4 town just west of Roanoke in west central Virginia population 24,802
5 city in the state of Tamil Nadu, southern India, southwest of Chennai population 917,500
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game