Sable Islandgeographical name
Definition of Sable Island
sand island of Nova Scotia, Canada, in the Atlantic Ocean southeast of Cape Canso; 20 miles (32 kilometers) long
Note: Sable Island has been the site of many shipwrecks and in 2013 was designated Sable Island National Park Reserve for the protection of its dunes, wild horses, and bird colonies.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game