Sable Islandgeographical name
Definition of Sable Island
sand island of Nova Scotia, Canada, in the Atlantic Ocean southeast of Cape Canso; 20 miles (32 kilometers) long
Note: Sable Island has been the site of many shipwrecks and in 2013 was designated Sable Island National Park Reserve for the protection of its dunes, wild horses, and bird colonies.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game