Definition of Russian ballet
1 : ballet developed early in the 20th century by teachers and students of the Russian Imperial Ballet Academy with characteristic emphasis upon the execution of dramatic, symbolic, or interpretative pantomime through rhythmic plastic movements and postures with the aid of appropriate costumes and setting
2 : a group of dancers trained in the Russian ballet
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?