Definition of Russia
1 or officially Russian Federation independent country in eastern Europe and northern Asia bordering on the Arctic and Pacific oceans and on the Baltic and Black seas and covering the largest area of any country in the world; capital Moscow area 6,592,812 square miles (17,075,383 square kilometers), population 143,300,000
Note: From 1922 to 1991, Russia was a constituent republic of the U.S.S.R. called the Russian Republic .
2 the U.S.S.R. —a common usage despite the fact that the U.S.S.R. included other republics besides Russia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game