Ru·pert's drop | \ ˈrüpərts-\
Definition of Rupert's drop
: a congealed blob of glass formed by dropping melted glass into water and setting up such residual stresses that the globule explodes violently when the surface is scratched or a piece broken off
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?