variants: or Belgian East Africa
Definition of Ruanda-Urundi
former trust territory of east central Africa bordering on Lake Tanganyika and comprising two districts, Ru*an*da \ rü-ˈän-dä \ (capital Kigali) and Urun*di \ ü-ˈrün-dē \ (capital Usumbura), administered by Belgium under the League of Nations mandate 1919–45 and under U.N. trusteeship 1946–62; capital Usumbura — see burundi, rwanda
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game