Rho·do·bac·te·ri·inae | \ -rēˈī(ˌ)nē\
Definition of Rhodobacteriinae
: a suborder of Pseudomonadales comprising bacteria that contain bacteriochlorophyll or a related green pigment and carry on a form of photosynthesis not resulting in release of free oxygen but requiring extraneous oxidizable material (as hydrogen, reduced sulfur compounds, or alcohols) which is dehydrogenated with concurrent reduction of carbon dioxide to form water as a metabolic end product
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?