Rhi·zos·to·mae | \ rīˈzästəˌmē\
Definition of Rhizostomae
: an order of Scyphozoa comprising jellyfishes that are related to the Semaeostomeae but are distinguished from them by fused oral lobes, by numerous small mouths replacing the primary mouth, and by the absence of tentacles and including various large jellyfishes that are dried and used as food in China and Japan
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?