Rhi·zo·ceph·a·la | \ ˌrīzōˈsefələ\
Definition of Rhizocephala
: an order of Cirripedia comprising extremely degenerate forms that live as parasites on crabs and hermit crabs, are hermaphroditic though complementary males occur, when young pass through stages similiar to those of a developing barnacle, and afterward attach themselves to suitable hosts where after a complex series of changes they become limbless unsegmented tumid sacs attached by a short peduncle from which rootlike processes penetrate to all parts of the host and absorb its juices — see peltogaster , sacculina
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game