variants: or less commonly Ras Alhague \ ˈräs-al-ˈhä-gwē , -ˈhā-ˌgyü , -ˈhāg \
Definition of Rasalhague
: a white star of the second magnitude that is the brightest star in the constellation Ophiuchus Ophiuchus is believed to represent Aesculapius, the ancient god of health and healing, and its brightest star is named Rasalhague, which appropriately is Arabic for “Head of the Snake Charmer.”— Dennis Mammana, Copley News Service, 14 Sept. 2007
— called also Alpha Ophiuchi
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?