Ra·ney nickel | \ ˈrānē-\
Definition of Raney nickel
: a finely divided nickel in the form of a pyrophoric powder or crystals or a suspension (as in alcohol) that is prepared from an alloy of equal parts of nickel and aluminum by dissolving the aluminum in warm sodium hydroxide solution and rinsing thoroughly and that is used as a catalyst for the hydrogenation of various organic compounds
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game