Quabbin Reservoirgeographical name
Definition of Quabbin Reservoir
reservoir in west central Massachusetts put into use in 1939 and providing water to metropolitan Boston area 39 square miles (101 square kilometers)
Note: Quabbin Reservoir was created by the damming of a small river. In the process, 2500 people were displaced and four towns were permanently flooded.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game