Pty·chop·ter·i·dae | \ ˌtīˌkäpˈterəˌdē\
Definition of Ptychopteridae
: a family of very delicate two-winged flies (suborder Nematocera) with long black white-barred legs and larvae with a prolonged caudal respiratory tube comprising the phantom crane flies
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?