Pte·rop·si·da | \ -sədə\
Definition of Pteropsida
: a subdivision of Tracheophyta comprising vascular plants (as the ferns and flowering plants) with well-developed and typically large leaves, leaf gaps usually present in the primary vascular cylinder, and sporangia abaxial on normal or modified leaves and including the classes Filicineae, Gymnospermae, and Angiospermae — compare lycopsida , psilopsida , sphenopsida
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?