Prus·ik knot | \ prəsik- \
Definition of Prusik knot
: a knot that is used in mountaineering for tying a small sling to a climbing rope as an aid to one who has fallen into a crevasse and that holds fast when weighted but is movable when unweighted
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game