Pro·tu·ra | \ prə‧ˈtyu̇rə\
Definition of Protura
: a group of very minute primitive wingless blind arthropods that lack antennae, have the mouth parts concealed within the head, undergo no noticeable metamorphosis except an increase in the number of abdominal segments, and are sometimes considered to form an order of Insecta or more often in current classification treated as a distinct class
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?