Definition of Proteroglypha
: a group of venomous snakes comprising forms that have in the front of the upper jaw and preceding the ordinary teeth permanently erect fangs with an open or a nearly closed groove associated with a venom gland and including the families Elapidae and Hydrophidae widely distributed in the warmer parts of the world — compare opisthoglypha
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game