Definition of Praetorian Guard
: a member of the bodyguard of the emperor of ancient Rome instituted by Augustus and consisting at first of 9 and later of 10 cohorts and coming to have great power in the making and unmaking of emperors until suppressed by Constantine in a.d. 312
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game