Portuguese Indiageographical name
Definition of Portuguese India
three former Portuguese possessions at some distance from each other along the western coast of India that were annexed by India in 1961: the territory of Goa (primarily on the mainland, with a few small offshore islands and a section surrounded by water at high tide), the district of Daman (on the mainland), and the district of Diu (an island together with a small part of the adjacent mainland)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game