Po·po·vets | \ pəˈpȯvə̇ts\
plural Popovtsy\ -ȯftsē \
Definition of Popovets
: a member of one of the major groups of the Raskolnik in Russia which maintains the hierarchical structure of episcopate and priesthood and is thereby distinguished from the priestless branch of the Bezpopovtsy — compare bezpopovets
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game