Definition of Polychaeta
: a class of Annelida or in former classifications an order of Chaetopoda that comprises chiefly marine annelid worms usually having paired setate appendages on most segments, a differentiated head with eyes, tactile processes and bristles, and chitinous jaws and being distinguished from the related oligochaete worms by possession of separate sexes and by a complex life history with a free-swimming trochophore larva — see errantia , sedentaria
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game