Definition of Poland
country in east central Europe bordering on the Baltic Sea; in the medieval period a kingdom, at one time extending to the lower Dnieper; partitioned 1772, 1793, and 1795 among Russia, Prussia, and Austria; again a kingdom 1815–30; lost autonomy 1830–1918; since 1918 a republic; capital Warsaw area 120,756 square miles (312,758 square kilometers), population 38,500,000
see also pole
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game