Pleu·ro·to·mar·ia | \ ˌplu̇rətəˈma(a)rēə\
Definition of Pleurotomaria
: a large genus of nearly extinct two-gilled gastropods (suborder Rhipidoglossa) usually having a trochiform nacreous shell with a broad sinus in the outer margin of the last whorl that extends back around the whorls as a raised band
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game