Plec·tog·na·thi | \ plekˈtägnəˌthī\
Definition of Plectognathi
: an order of bony fishes that generally have the maxillary bone united with the premaxillary, the posttemporal united with the skull, and the gill openings greatly reduced in size, have the ventral fins rudimentary or wanting and the body usually covered with bony plates, spines, or small rough ossicles, and include the boxfishes, filefishes, puffer fishes, sunfishes, triggerfishes, and related forms
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?