Definition of Pioneer Day
1 : July 24 observed as a legal holiday in Utah in commemoration of the arrival of Brigham Young on the present site of Salt Lake City in 1847
2 : June 15 formerly observed as a legal holiday in Idaho as the anniversary of the acceptance of the Oregon treaty by the president and the senate in 1846
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game