Pi·er·i·dae | \ pīˈerəˌdē\
Definition of Pieridae
: a very large and almost cosmopolitan family of butterflies formerly regarded as a subfamily of Papilionidae that comprises the cabbage butterflies, sulphur butterflies, and others having three pairs of well-developed legs in both sexes and being usually of medium size and white or yellow color with dark markings especially on the edges of the wings
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game