Phy·toph·a·ga | \ fīˈtäfəgə\
Definition of Phytophaga
(Entry 1 of 2)
: any of several groups of vegetable-feeding animals: such as
a : a very large division of Coleoptera comprising beetles that have all the tarsi apparently 4-jointed, the head not rostrate, the labrum exposed, and the palpi never wholly occluded in the mouth and including the families Bruchidae, Chrysomelidae, and Cerambycidae or being made coextensive with Chrysomelidae
b : a division of Hymenoptera comprising forms (as the sawflies) with larvae that feed on plants
c : a group of Edentata including the sloths
Definition of Phytophaga (Entry 2 of 2)
: a genus of gall midges
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game