Definition of Phecda
: a white star of the second magnitude that is part of the bowl of the Big Dipper The best way to find these galaxies is to draw a line from the star Phecda, in the lower left corner of the Big Dipper's pot, to Dubhe, at the opposite corner. — St. Paul (Minnesota) Pioneer Press, 25 June 2006
— called also Gamma Ursae Majoris
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game