Definition of Peru
1 country in western South America on the Pacific coast south of the Equator; a republic; capital Lima area 496,225 square miles (1,285,216 square kilometers), population 31,331,000
2 Spanish viceroyalty 1542–1718 comprising modern Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and a large portion of modern Brazil; capital Lima
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?