Pen·nat·u·la·cea | \ pəˌnachəˈlāshēə\
Definition of Pennatulacea
: an order of Alcyonaria including the sea pens, sea pansies, and related forms that develop a colony which usually resembles a feather, leaf, or club, is often more or less bilaterally symmetrical with the polyps arranged along the distal part of a central axis or on lateral branches and has the basal end of the axis destitute of polyps and embedded in the mud of the sea bottom
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?