variants: or Passendale
Definition of Passchendaele
village near Ypres in northwestern Belgium population 2928
Note: Passchendaele was the site of one of World War I's longest and bloodiest battles, which ended in an Allied victory.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game