Definition of Parma violet
1 : a sweet violet widely cultivated for its pale lavender sweet-scented fully double flowers
2 or parma violet
a : a moderate violet that is bluer and lighter than damson, bluer and paler than Roman purple, and paler and slightly redder than prelate
— called also Parme, violet Parme
b of textiles : a strong violet that is redder and lighter than pansy, redder, lighter, and stronger than royal purple (see royal purple sense 2), and lighter, stronger, and slightly redder than clematis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game