Para·pithe·cus | \ ¦parəpə̇¦thēkəs, -ˈpithə̇k-\
Definition of Parapithecus
: a genus of extremely primitive old-world monkeys from the Oligocene of Egypt that are commonly regarded as near the point of divergence of the Cercopithecidae and the higher anthropoid apes and are sometimes made type of a separate family
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game