Pan·ath·e·naea | \ ˌpaˌnathəˈnēə\
Definition of Panathenaea
: the annual or quadrennial festivities of ancient Athens in honor of Athena celebrated in their greater form for several days during the third year of each olympiad and including a great procession in which the people marched to the acropolis bearing an embroidered peplos for their tutelary goddess and also athletic, musical, equestrian, and other contests
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?