Definition of Palaeospondylus
: a genus of extinct primitive vertebrates that are known from a single form (P. gunni) of the Devonian of Scotland that is usually about one inch long with a large skull, branchial arches and jaws highly modified or possibly absent, a segmented vertebral column, and the caudal fin and limb girdles well-developed, and that is usually placed among the Placodermi but sometimes considered a cyclostome — see cycliae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game