Op·pen·auer oxidation | \ ˈäpəˌnau̇(ə)r, -au̇ə-\
Definition of Oppenauer oxidation
: the oxidation of a saturated or unsaturated secondary alcohol (as cholesterol) to the corresponding ketone by reaction with acetone or other ketone in the presence of aluminum tert-butoxide or aluminum isopropoxide — compare meerwein-ponndorf reaction
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game