Oo·my·ce·tes | \ ¦ōəˌmī¦sētēz\
Definition of Oomycetes
: a subclass of parasitic of saprophytic fungi (class Phycomycetes) that includes water molds, white rusts, and downy mildews and that is distinguished from the Zygomycetes by having the gametangia usually differentiated into antheridia and oogonia and by producing oospores as a result of the sexual process
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game