Oo·cys·ta·ce·ae | \ ˌōəsə̇ˈstāsēˌē\
Definition of Oocystaceae
: a family of free-floating green algae (order Chlorococcales) which are unicellular or colonial with an indefinite number of cells and in which the cells are often retained within the distended gelatinized wall of the old mother cell
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game