Onyg·e·na | \ ōˈnijənə\
Definition of Onygena
: a genus (the type of the family Onygenaceae) of ascomycetous fungi that have stalked capitate ascocarps and occur typically on decaying animal materials (as hooves or feathers)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?