On·y·choph·o·ra | \ ˌänəˈkäfərə\
Definition of Onychophora
: a class of Arthropoda or an independent phylum comprising small elongated velvety-skinned terrestrial invertebrate animals of damp dark habitats in warm regions that are in some respects intermediate between annelid worms and typical arthropods, that have an unsegmented vermiform body, numerous pairs of short unsegmented legs with terminal bifid claws, and a head bearing a pair of segmented antennae, a pair of oral papillae on which slime glands open, a pair of simple eyes, and a pair of jaws resembling blades, that possess a hemocoel as a body cavity, and that breathe by means of tracheae and excrete by means of nephridia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?