On·y·choph·o·ra | \ ˌänəˈkäfərə\
Definition of Onychophora
: a class of Arthropoda or an independent phylum comprising small elongated velvety-skinned terrestrial invertebrate animals of damp dark habitats in warm regions that are in some respects intermediate between annelid worms and typical arthropods, that have an unsegmented vermiform body, numerous pairs of short unsegmented legs with terminal bifid claws, and a head bearing a pair of segmented antennae, a pair of oral papillae on which slime glands open, a pair of simple eyes, and a pair of jaws resembling blades, that possess a hemocoel as a body cavity, and that breathe by means of tracheae and excrete by means of nephridia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game