Definition of Ontario
1 province of eastern Canada between the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay and bordering on the United States (New York, Michigan, and Minnesota); capital Toronto area 350,814 square miles (908,608 square kilometers), population 12,851,821
Note: Ontario is the most populous province of Canada.
2 city in southwestern California northwest of Riverside population 163,924
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game