On·co·rhyn·chus | \ ˌäŋkōˈriŋkəs\
Definition of Oncorhynchus
: a genus of salmons that are related to those of the genus Salmo but have a greater number of anal rays, branchiostegals, pyloric caeca, and gill rakers and that include commercially important fishes of the north Pacific and of the coastal streams of both America and Asia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game