Old Red Sandstonenoun
Definition of Old Red Sandstone
: a thick series of fragmental chiefly sandstone rocks of nonmarine origin, predominantly red in color, and representing the Devonian system in some parts of Great Britain and elsewhere in northwestern Europe
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game