variants: or omg
Definition of OMG
oh my God — used (as in e-mail or text messages) to indicate that something is considered surprising, shocking, thrilling, etc. Their harmless [e-mail] chatter ("OMG! I was playing yesterday, when this really CUTE boy rode up on his bike") is reminiscent of the notes we used to pass in class …— Janet Malcolm —sometimes used as an interjection Then she stopped in the middle of the aisle, snapped her fingers, and exclaimed, "Hey! Does he have Guitar Hero?" "No, but he has a Wii. OMG, you are a genius!"— Jessica Hulett
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game