Nyc·ta·gi·na·ce·ae | \ ˌniktəjəˈnāsēˌē\
Definition of Nyctaginaceae
: a family of chiefly American herbs and rarely shrubs or trees (order Caryophyllales) having apetalous flowers with an involucere simulating a calyx and fruit enclosed by the persistent base of the perianth
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game