North Atlantic right whalenoun
variants: or less commonly northern Atlantic right whale
Definition of North Atlantic right whale
: a chiefly black right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) of temperate and subpolar waters of the Atlantic Ocean The North Atlantic right whale is an endangered species, reduced by decades of hunting to just 350 worldwide.— Michael Levenson, Boston Sunday Globe, 1 May 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game