North Atlantic right whalenoun
variants: or less commonly northern Atlantic right whale
Definition of North Atlantic right whale
: a chiefly black right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) of temperate and subpolar waters of the Atlantic Ocean The North Atlantic right whale is an endangered species, reduced by decades of hunting to just 350 worldwide.— Michael Levenson, Boston Sunday Globe, 1 May 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?