Nigrosinenoun, often capitalized
Ni·gro·sine | \ ˈnīgrəˌsēn, -sə̇n\
variants: or nigrosine or less commonly Nigrosin \ -sə̇n \ or nigrosin
Definition of Nigrosine
: any of several azine dyes closely related to the indulines: such as
a or Nigrosine Base B : an oil-soluble bluish black dye obtained as the free base by heating aniline and aniline hydrochloride and nitrobenzene or nitrophenol in the presence of iron and used chiefly in coloring waxes, shoe polish, plastics, and lacquers and as wood stains
b or Nigrosine Spirit Soluble : a chloride of the free base that is soluble in alcohol and is used similarly
c or Nigrosine Water Soluble : a water-soluble sulfonation product of the free base or of its chloride used chiefly in dyeing leather and paper and as a biological stain
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game