Nic·o·la·i·tan | \ ˌnikəˈlāətᵊn\
Definition of Nicolaitan
1 : one of a group reproved in Revelation 2:6, 14–15 and generally associated with those who were rebuked for eating things offered to idols and for fornication
2 : one of a group of 3d century antinomian Gnostics
3 [ Medieval Latin Nicolaitae, plural, Nicolaitans, heretics (from Greek Nikolaitai, plural of Nikolaitēs) + English -an ] : one of the married or concubinary clergy in the medieval period also : an opponent of clerical celibacy
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?