Newark charging systemnoun
Definition of Newark charging system
: a system of charging library books in which when a book is lent the date of issue or the date due is stamped on the book card, on a plate in the book, and on the borrower's card and the borrower's name or number also is recorded on the book card which is filed until the book is returned and the return is recorded on the borrower's card
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game